To Look Ten Years Younger in Three Months!
Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP
A wonderful benefit of getting the body healthy is clear, radiant skin.
There are ways to obtain youthful looking skin and the beauty must begin with lifestyle. How we take care of ourselves---diet, exercise, sleep, water consumption and stress---will show on the skin.
1) Keep the digestive tract and liver clean. Perform a total digestive tract cleanse two times a year (Spring & Fall). This will help with digestion and keep everything moving in the digestive tract. It will also make sure that your digestive tract is clean so that nutrients can be absorbed properly. If you have less than 2-3 daily bowel movement then you are constipated. The liver is the main filter in the body and must be kept clean. The first thing that many people notice after a liver/gallbladder cleanse is how clear their skin looks.
[Not only that, but the eyes will look clear and glow too.]
2) Water. Your body is 75% water. If you wait until you are thirsty to drink water, you are already dehydrated. Drink half of your body weight in ounces of water every day, up to 126 ounces of water. Water hydrates the cells and facilitates the body in eliminating toxins efficiently. Make sure that you are drinking filtered water or distilled water with added minerals. It is also advised to purchase a shower filter. Chlorine is carcinogenic and will age the skin. A 15 minute hot shower is the equivalent of drinking 7 glasses of tap water.
3) Diet. Yo yo dieting is one of the worse things you can do to your body. Get on a healthy diet (not a fad diet) and get your weight at a level that is healthy and one that you can maintain. Organic, raw fresh fruits and vegetables should make up the biggest part of your eating plan. Add organic raw nuts and seeds, organic butter and eggs, organic oils (coconut, hemp, olive) and free-range, organic meats. Eliminate eating after 7:30 p.m. Include an organic, multi-vitamin/mineral complex, green food, calcium and extra B vitamins for supplementation.
4) Exercise. Try to do 30 minutes of some type of exercise daily. Walking is the cheapest, most convenient and easiest way to exercise. You may also want to incorporate Pilate's, Yoga, strength training and/or aerobics. The main thing is to get moving and do it every single day.
5)Essential Fatty Acids. Good fats are very important and very necessary to young looking skin. They are needed to make cell membranes, hormones, and other body chemicals. Essential fatty acids help you live longer, keep your heart healthy, fight inflammation, and might even prevent cancer. Most cancer patients are deficient in EFA's. Include in your diet ground flaxseed or flaxseed oil,unrefined coconut oil, cold-water fish and/or fish oil supplements.
6) Eliminate sugar and pre-packaged foods. I call white refined sugar the "legal" drug of America. It is a main culprit of disease and causes mood swings. It is implicated in most diseases and we see clinical evidence that when it is removed from the diet, over-all health improves considerably. . For those times when you need a sweetener consider using stevia, xylitol or agave nectar.
7) Natural skin care products. Use all-natural products on your face and skin. Be aware that some "natural" products contain parabens (may have estrogenic effects) and some contain titanium dioxide of which we are not completely sure of its safety. We should not have to be concerned with harmful chemicals in skin care products, unfortunately, we must be willing to do our research. Read labels and let companies know of your satisfaction or dissatisfaction concerning their product ingredients. Avoid using harsh soaps or solid cleansing creams such as cold cream on your face. Use natural oils such as avocado oil instead to remove dirt and old makeup. Apply it gently to your face and rinse it off with warm distilled water. Tap water contains chlorine and fluoride, which kill skin cells.
Stress. Stress is a killer and can wreck havoc on the whole body, including the skin. Eliminate stress by implementing the following: meditation, listening to good music, yoga, Pilate's, walking and healthy diet. Sometimes the source of stress must be dealt with such as a stressful job, boss, spouse, etc. Enjoy life and make time for fun and relaxation.
9) Eliminate smoking. Not only does smoking put you in a very real danger of lung cancer, it also causes premature wrinkling of the skin around the mouth area. People who smoke often have dull skin and hair. You inhale hundreds of toxins into the body every time you light up.
10) Hormone Imbalance. Because of the environment, hormone-laden foods, chemicals in water, over consumption of soy and thousands of prescription med's getting into the water table hormone imbalance is showing up in children as young as 8 years old. A main cause of acne, both teen and adult, is hormone imbalance.
Youthful-looking skin is attainable. Keep your body in good health and it will reward you through outward appearance. The help that you get from a jar is only temporary and with most over-the-counter products you will be adding chemicals to the body. Employ these suggestions and in three months, people will be commenting not only on your healthy skin, but on your youthful appearance. Guaranteed!