10. What are the differences in brands of IVIG?
Generally the difference is in IVIg is the amount of IgA content and also if the IVIg contains sucrose, glucose or some other sugar. Some IVIg products have Glycine while another one has no preservatives.
Different IVIg products match different patients. In general all the products work about the same.
11. What is a recall OF IVIG?
A recall of IVIg happens when someone reports defects in IVIg, side effects of a particular batch. Then the FDA may issue a warning or a recall of IVIg. This may also depend on contamination of IVIg .
12. Where can I find out about recalls of IVIG?
The FDA in the US maintains a current list of blood-product recalls on its site. This is because its members use so many different types of blood products, and generally store them in quantity. Look under Biologics and then recalls near the middle of page. http://www.fda.gov/cber/recalls.htm
13. Who is a good provider for IVIG?
There are many nationwide providers of IVIG. . Some provide customized service for the patient. They select the correct IVIG for the patient. They manage side effects . Their nurses are well trained. They will also work with you on CO-PAYS and disease management.
contact us for the best nationwide IVIG provider.
14. What is the recommended dose of IVIg as compared to age?
Children can tolerate a higher dose of IVIg and the whole 3g/kg dose of IVIg has been given without side effects as a single infusion. Young adults up to 25 years of age can tolerate 1g/kg as a single infusion. Up to age 50 only 400mg /kg is recommended in one day .
When dealing with above 70 year old patients we recommend not to infuse more then 400mg/kg in one week.
15. What is the right IVIG product for me?Patients need to understand the differences among the IVIg products, and many factors need to be taken into consideration when deciding which IVIG product should be prescribed. Some examples of the factors include:
- Patients with congestive heart failure or compromised renal function may fare better if they receive a IVIg product with a low osmolality and low volume;
- Patients who are diabetic should receive a IVIg product containing no sugars;
- Patients receiving IVIg with sucrose may be at a higher risk for renal failure; (Need adjustment of concentration). Also patients who have Myositis and high myoglobin levels are at higher risk of developing renal failure while on IVIg infusion.
- Patients with immunoglobulin A (IgA) deficiencies should only receive products with the lowest amount of IgA or they could have anaphylactic reactions; For more on IgA see our help page.
- Patients with small peripheral vascular access or a tendency toward phlebitis may want to avoid IVIg preparations with a low pH.
16. Who is a good provider for IVIG?
There are many nationwide providers of IVIG. Please contact us for a good one near you.
17. What diseases is IVIG being used for?
Some of the common autoimmune diseases include Alzheimer's, Narcolepsy, Multiple Sclerosis, Heart Disease, Lupus, forms of encephalitis, CIDP, autism, Transverse Myelitis, Brachial neuritis, Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. (studies are available which show IVIg is effective in these conditions). ITP is fuly reversiable with IVIg read the story.If you need more info then go the the main page of IVIg on the CIDPUSA web site There you will find links to other pages providing all the details of IVIg.
18. What is a alternative to IVIg?
IVig or IGIv is a natural medicine and its alternatives available are, colostrum . A product which also contains IgG , the best colostrum would be freshly obtained liquid. Weaker forms will be the powder forms.
19. Can infections be transferred from IVIG?
IVIG has been involved in the spread of some cases, then FDA took steps to and IVIg producers followed instructions and No further cases of Infection have been reported since the year 2000.
20. Can a cold vial of IVIg be infused in a patient ?
Yes this is often done but cold IVIg infusion can causes problems, like blocked IVIg filters, more IVIg reactions, it is best to give IVIg at body temperature.
21. What diseases is IVIG approved for use by FDA, (MEANS YOUR INSURANCE CANNOT DENY THIS IVIG TREATMENT)
the US Food and Drug Administration has approved the use of IVIG for the following 6 conditions:
- Primary immunodeficiencies IVIg is approved by FDA
- Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia IVIg is approved by FDA
- Kawasaki disease IVIg is approved by FDA
- Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in patients older than 20 years (Gamimune-N only) IVIg is approved by FDA
- Chronic B-cell lymphocytic leukemia IVIg is approved by FDA
- Pediatric HIV type 1 infection IVIg is approved by FDA
- We can refer you to the best provider of IVIg in your area, who will get the IVIg approved for any medical problem and will work with you in voiding the co-pay.
23 What other conditions can IVIg be used for?
Read the patient stories on home page to see how we have helped people recover who had ALS, Fibrmyalgia, chronic fatigue , epilepsy MS & many other undiagnosed problems